Friday, September 10, 2010

Revive the Radio!

I.Despise.Radio.

I despise radio because it's worthless or rather because it used to be ENTERTAINING and now is not used to it's full potential. In the early days of the 20th century and through WWII, the radio was THE thing to have. For many during the Great Depression, it was their only lifeline to sanity. Music began to be spirited and free, just as we did the same and not only did the radio provide these swingin' tunes, but it also brought amazingly popular comedy shows, dramatic story readings and music LIVE from a little studio. You could hear actors portray thrilling tales of mystery and intrigue, followed by an hour of silly stories with funny sound effects made from pots, washboards and sheets of metal. In between shows, commercials were read live by live people.

I guess what I'm saying is that back in the day, radio had PEOPLE...and LIFE. Radio now is what you listen to in the car to find out where crashes are, drone out the sounds of passing cars and be inundated with ridiculous and repetitive commercials for things no one cares about (I'm talking to YOU, ShaneCo).

I would LOVE, love, love to resurrect the old fashioned radio shows. Live actors, live musicians, creativity. I think we could all use a little more life and creativity as opposed to stale repetition.

No comments:

Post a Comment